soo.. back in april, i took my second blog challenge.
it was great because it’s given me greater push to take the art (and science and math and chemistry) of blogging more seriously, to consider myself a blogger (still weird) and give it the love and attention it deserves!
it’s been a
couple of few months and there were some tasks i promised i would do. so let’s go back and see what’s been accomplished around these parts since then.
*pops the hood*
- Increase Pinterest to 100 by end of May. 200 by end of year (as of Oct 15 = 103). I’m not even quite sure why this was important to me.
- Increase blog to 100 by end of summer. 175 by end of year (as of Oct 15 = 179). this encourages me to keep going. especially again since people’s blog reading habits have changed in 3 years.
- Research blog conference. – pending. i missed a local one, and 3 others on my radar
- Biz cards for the social stuff. – pending. hi moo.com
- 5 guest posts (on other sites) – does blavity.com count?
- 5 guest posts on mine – nope. and i should change that for 2015
- 100 views each blog post day. – it depends on the post and how much i promote it. thankfully hootsuite lets you schedule tweets/fb posts and i’ve also figured out that twitter=day, facebook=night.
looking back at #blogging201 here are specific goals:
- post at least twice a week (new or archived posts) for april, may and june. – check
find a new blog reeder – nope
- follow 10 blogs via wordpress – yep
- create a blogroll with at least 10 blogs by july. – OR NAH
buy a domain – yep! and mapped it myself!
- find a theme with fonts i like and reconsider the name of the blog by september. (sept is my original blog-anniversary) – this free theme works for now, i like the font and im keeping the name
sure, for most (like myself), it’s not a springboard to other things (i’m not looking to get paid for my writings any time ever) – oop. spoke too soon. i have some ideas brewing…
sketch out an editorial calendar – oops. although with my new writing gig, there are tools like co-promote that i guess i should learn sooner than later…
integrate features to draw traffic to your older content, including widgets, related posts, and a “Best of” page. – i opted not to do this. i’d rather keep things crisp and clean. you can always see what are the most viewed posts by clicking the pink icon on the main page
i do plan on having events and cooking posts in the future. my knowledge on events and food – will be a valuable asset and i think will lead to an increase of followers on both. – i decided not to blend business with pleasure. event planning, while valuable, is a niche market and different audience. same with cooking/food posts. that requires patience in tracking each part of the cooking process, a REALLY good camera and did i mention patience? so i decided against them both. guess i should delete those categories eh?
create a page or section on your blog to display links to your online presence elsewhere, and make sure your other presences reflect the brand you’re developing on your blog. – hmm.. right now, my presence is a couple of blogs my friends asked me to post on, Blavity and SF Journal (that used a Blavity post). i guess to some, it will lend credence to how good others may see me. im still torn on how it may look. so for the time being – i vote no again.
the blogroll widget and i never got along. then someone in the commons steered me right and i’ll be adding that in the upcoming weeks. – welp. if im honest – i don’t read many blogs anymore. and its terrible to admit that because i have a hope and expectation to BE read. i’m good at archiving for later, promoting and rooting for folks. not to mention people be adding podcasts. sigh. not. enough. time.
i also have a really awesome e-peep i’ve known since the beginning of time (and my foray to writing online almost a decade ago..*faints) who i’m chatting with about collaborating as well. – oops. *pages Stan of Few Words…
in light of my recent quittage and in preparation of a new one, what i was told is an emotional challenge – i’d say all in all, NaWoT is heading in the right direction.
forward and up.
come along and ride on the fantastic voyage!
what’s your word? why do you come here? what do you like reading? what should i do more or less of?